Saturday, September 6, 2014 at 8:00 PM
26 Wall Street, MANHATTAN
5BMF is thrilled to kick off the 2014-2015 season with two presentations of “A BANNER BICENTENNIAL: 200 Years of American Song.” In our second collaboration with The Casement Fund Song Series, we present this brand new program of American Song in two historic NYC venues: Flushing Town Hall in Queens (Friday, Sept. 5th), and Federal Hall in Lower Manhattan (Saturday, Sept. 6th).
The program marks the 200th birthday of The Star Spangled Banner, and traces the journey of American song through the two centuries since the anthem’s beginnings. Backed by a fantastic roster of all-star performers, the program features selections ranging from Ives to Bernstein, Foster to Hoiby, and Gershwin to Rorem. In addition, American tenor and song guru Paul Sperry will make a special guest appearance to speak about the program and the evolution of American song.
Spencer Myer, pianist
Caitlin Lynch, soprano
Leah Wool, mezzo-soprano
Michael Slattery, tenor
Sidney Outlaw, baritone
General Admission: $45 – Limited availability, by advance purchase ONLY.
Admission to Saturday’s performance includes a pre-concert reception with bottomless American bubbly and a post-concert toast with the artists!
About the venue
Historic Federal Hall, originally a Customs House, now serves as a museum and memorial to the first government of the United States of America, and to President George Washington, who was inaugurated on the site in 1789. 26 Wall Street was the site of New York City’s original City Hall, constructed between 1699 and 1703, which served as the seat of government for the British colony of New York. When the Constitution was ratified in 1788, New York remained the national capital and the site was remodeled for the new federal government. The First Congress met in the now Federal Hall and wrote the Bill of Rights. When the capital moved to Philadelphia in 1790, the building again housed city government until 1812, when Federal Hall was demolished. The current structure on the site was built as a Customs House, opening in 1842.